Saturday, April 23, 2011

Fourty days without this makes a girl what?????


So, here we are the day before Easter Sunday.  The past forty days or so, some Christians have been observing Lent.  Others haven't.  I honestly don't think I ever have. Until this year.  No one knew I was.  Not even D. 
In the past year I have become friends with a sweet sixteen year old catholic girl.  She finds it entertaining that a Baptist preacher's wife reads a catholic blog & is interested in others beliefs.  Anyway, she informed me the Tuesday night before Ash Wednesday what she was planning to give up in observance of Lent.  I was impressed.  God again, began to speak.  He spoke last year after this child told me she was glad to finally be able to have some sweet tea.  That was one of the things she had sacrificed. 
Any way I said ok to sweets & chocolates.  Yep. I did.  Now on the beginning I will have to admit it was a tad bit difficult.  Because if you know me at all, you know I love chocolate.  I mean next to Jesus, D, my boys & samps, it is there!  You also know I will bypass the meat & taters for the dessert table any day of the week. So if I said it was a piece of cake, I would be lying like a dog!! Anyway, those first few days, when the craving for chocolate would come, I would just go back in my mind, to a hill called Calvary.  I would think about this Man who loved me so much.  And you know what?  I didn't want that chocolate anymore.  I didn't want the sweets anymore.  Now I did have sweet tea & dr. pepper, but  they aren't really anything to me.  But now my diet coke, that is another story. 
Any way, I say all of that to say this.. Others gave up facebook, computers, language, tea, things like that.  But in the grand scheme of things when you stop & think about what my Jesus gave up, these things mean nothing. 
I found that in doing this, I drew just a bit closer.  I depended on Him just a bit more. Paul writes in  2 Corinthians 12:10 "That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insult, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties.  For when I am weak, then I am strong."
How do you become strong in your weakness?  By relying on Him. 
It also made me focus on the fact just about everyday, that yes, He gave all He had.  He spared nothing.  So giving up chocolate & sweets was really a piece a cake.  And you know what?  Now that it is over, I really don't care to have them.  Will I?  Probably.  When?  I don't know.  But I have again, been reassured where my strength comes from & it isn't in chocolate or sweets. 
I pray as the sun comes up in the morning, on Easter Sunday, you are reminded of how much He loves you.  We have much to be thankful for.  We have no need to gripe or complain.  Whatever we are facing, remember, it is already done.  It is finished.  You do have victory.  You may not feel it right now, but hold on.  It is coming.  Sunday is near!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment