Friday, April 15, 2011

Hangin on

As I finished up on the post titled Desperate, I was reminded of something I heard a preacher say several years ago.  "When you think you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot & hang on."  I believe the quote came back in the summer of 92.  You may be asking how in the world do you remember that when you barely remember your name.  That was a rough summer to say the least.  It was the 2nd  "cancer" summer with my daddy.  Isaiah 40:31 became our family's verse during that time. Especially for mom & dad.  But I'm gonna back up to verse 28.  Do you not know? Have you not heard?  The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth.  He will not grow tired or weary and His understanding no one can fathom.  29)He gives strength to the weary & increases the power of the weak.  30)Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall: 31)But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.  They will soar on wings like eagles: they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

Today I am wondering how do you encourage someone to just hang on when you yourself are barely hanging on?  My word it is hard.  I so understand impatience.  I am as impatient as anyone.  Just ask D.  I want what I want when I want it.  It is a trait, which I am sad to say, that it seems both of these boys have inherited from me.   

It helps knowing that my Father doesn't grow tired or weary.  He doesn't need any breaks.  From anything.  And I know I give Him enough reason to need one.  But He carries on.  Verse 29 tells me He gives strength to the weary & increases the power of the weak.  31) He will renew my strength because my hope is in Him.


“this is the day that I have made.  rejoice and be glad in it.  begin the day with open HANDS of faith, ready to receive all that I am pouring into this BRIEF PORTION of your life.  be careful not to complain about anything, even the weather, since I am the author or your circumstances.  the best way to handle unwanted situations is to thank Me for them.  this act of faith frees you from resentment and frees Me to work My ways into the situation, so that good emerges from it.  to find joy in this day, you must live within its boundaries.  I knew what I was doing when I divided time into twenty-four-hour segments.  I understand human frailty, and I know that you can bear the weight of only one day at a time.  do not worry about tomorrow or get stuck in the past.  there is abundant life in My presence TODAY.”
psalm 118:24, Philippians 3:13-14 

 It is just how He works.  I was frustrated & needing a word from Him.  And there this was.  I though it kinda fitting for this post.  In this life, we face struggles.  Things we had really rather not deal with.  Mainly because we just want to have our way.  Well, sometimes our way isn't the best way.  But I serve a God who knows my every need.  A God who will strengthen me & give me abundant life.  But only if my hope is in Him.  Not chocolate, not food, not TV, not someone else.  HIM!  So, who and or what are you hanging on to today?

No comments:

Post a Comment