Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Mustard seed Faith


On this day, I have really been at a loss for words.  (I know hard to believe) Life sometimes brings hard times & tragedy.  And when it does, we as Christians have to dig deep.  Real deep.  Today has been one of those days for many people.  As I have thought about what to post or even how to post, I thought of this one.  I'm sorry to possibly bore you to tears again, but it is what is on my heart.

OK  during one of D's messages, he mentioned faith the size of a mustard seed.  Well, this really got me to thinking.  How big is a mustard seed?  Really?  So I googled it & they aren’t really all that big.  But given a little water & a chance to grow according to Matthew 13:32 spoken by Jesus mind you, “Though it is the smallest of all your seed, yet when it grows,  it’s the largest of garden plants & becomes a tree, so that birds of the air come & perch in its branches.”  So you take a tiny seed, water it & give it a chance to grow, you may just end up with a tree that birds can perch in.  In essence take a little faith & nurture it, you may end up with enough to can, pickle & store up for next season.  That is what my mama & grandma did with the things they planted in the garden.  Plant the seed, water, wait, watch it grow, eat, store up, & repeat the process.  No different with our faith.  Plant a small bit of it, water it, feed it, watch it grow.  Now some of you may be asking, how do I water & feed it?  Well, that is where your relationship with our Heavenly Father comes in.  It is called companionship.  You are not gonna grow your relationships by not ever talking to any one are you?  He is no differnet. 
Well, ok,  now let’s look at Matthew 17:20 Jesus was just a tad upset with the disciples.  They asked Him why they couldn’t heal the demon posessed boy.  He replied basically, (my interpretation here) because your faith wasn’t big enough.  He said “Because you have so little faith, I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘move from here to there’ & it will move.  Nothing will be impossible for you.”   Now is Jesus really telling them to go speak to mountains or homes, or cars?  NO.  I don’t believe so. What I believe He is saying that no matter how big or small you circumstance may be, if you have just a little faith you can get through it.  Does it mean that when you ask Him to remove the situation He will? Maybe.  Maybe not.  But I believe that by asking with just a little bit of faith, He will strengthen you through it.  He will make it bearable.  He will make the mountain smaller.  Or so it will seem. 

I spent a few minutes with a couple of sweet families this afternoon.  Families that are facing a giant mountain and some very hard days to come.  As I talked with them, they know where their strength will come from.  They know the One who will sustain them through this unbearable time.  I am certain they will all have days when it will be hard to face the world.  But I have faith the size of a small mustard seed that I serve a mighty God who is able to comfort, strengthen  & sustain them. At all times.  But especially during those extremely hard days.  Days when the mountain seems impossible to climb.  He's going to be the One who will say, "Climb on Daddy's back & let me carry you to the top." 


No comments:

Post a Comment