Friday, June 17, 2011

Happy Birthday!! He's Seventeen today!

I often wonder where this little boy went.  I asked that a few weeks ago about another little boy.  But this one is celebrating a birthday today.   As I type this it is really the sixteenth.  I can't think about the seventeenth without thinking about the sixteenth.  You see this child is also special.  The one I posted about a few weeks ago is our high maintance clown.  He's the one who always keeps me hopping and laughing and yellin'.  But this oldest one, well, let's just say God sent him at the right time.  Here's why:  You see, we had just gotten off of one of the longest, roughest roller coaster rides I think I have ever been on.  We were young & newly wed, just tryin to figure out how to live with each other when my daddy was diagnosed with cancer.  We had been through that and he had gone home to be with our Father in January of 1993.  On October 13, 1993(which was my daddy's birthday) I found out I was having this child.  Then I found out my due date was June 15th.  The date my daddy had had surgery in 1991.  Mom & Dad's anniversary is June 11, D's dad's birthday is June 16.  So any date held some signifigance.  I knew from the beginning what his middle name would be; either my maiden name or daddy's middle name.  He got daddy's middle name.  The 16th started like most days did during that week.  Only a few contratctions.  Then they got closer and the rest is history.  I don't know if every mother is like me, but I remember every detail of that day. ( As well as the second child's birthday too)  We watched the LA Police Department chase a white Bronco down the freeway with O. J. Simpson in it.  And no wonder this child plays basketball, the NBA Finals were on as well. We finally got to see this 9lb 1oz baby boy a little after 2 a.m. on the seventeenth.  Now you know the rest of the story. 
This one was our first.  He has always been laid back, quite, easy going, somewhat of a worrier.  Boy could he ask some questions when he was little.  He came just when we needed him.  God works that way you know.  He filled a void.  He has been a joy to raise. 
I didn't take these first two pictures.  But wasn't he just the cutest fattest lil boy?  See the slobber about to drip off his chin?
Last year I had to do this......First trip on the road without us.  Yes, lil bro is in there but still... Where did time go?

Penny for your thoughts.

I can't believe I'm doing this & I hope they don't, well.... you know.



I couldn't do this post with out one of these:
I don't know what the next few years will hold for him but of this I am sure.  I know he knows the One who does.  That is enough for this mama.  Yes, we have grown up together.  We have learned together.  We have experienced a lot of first together.  Every step we took was a first for us both.  How I thank God for this boy.  The one I am watching turn into a fine young man.  His daddy says I will some day have to let him go.  I don't think that will ever be possible.
Happy Birthday!  We love you!

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday to your son! He'll be fine at basketball camp and before you know it, he'll be home again! :)

    ReplyDelete