Thursday, July 12, 2012

Where are you sitting?



I was awaken by something other than my alarm clock last Monday morning.  Again, it was a noise I haven't heard in a while.  It was the sound of thunder.  Yes, thunder.  A small storm, one with rain, thunder and lighting rolled across the coast that morning.  Yes, we were on vacation.  The place was quiet.  That noise didn't wake anyone else up.  Not for a while anyway.  I had time to think.  Ponder.  Be still.  And in that stillness I was reminded of just how faithful my God is.  You see in the months leading up to that day I had almost forgotten some things.  Well, maybe not forgotten, just taken them for granted.  But in the previous week and again that morning, I was reminded.  I will spare you all the details.  But I think I will go out on a limb and say I bet you all have been in the boat with me on this. 
As the morning progressed, the storm passed, people began to rouse and we headed out.  We headed to this....
And did this....
As I did this I was reading "The Help".  I know, I am a year behind.  But it was so worth it.
As I was reading, this line jumped off the page and settled in my heart.  "She know your prayer works."  "They just think you got a better connection than most.  We all on a party line to God, but you, you setting right in his ear."
I know this book is fiction, but as I said, that jumped off and I have brewed and stewed over it since last Monday.  And as I have, I have felt that tender touch and heard that still small voice.  I have heard this question...How can someone think or know that you have a better connection than most?  If someone actually spoke those words to you, how would that change your perspective or even your prayer life?  What if someone thought you were actually setting right in His ear?  Can you see it?  I can.  I can see me, His daughter, His princess, sitting right under His big arm, my hand cupped over my mouth, His head bent down to the side, like I am telling Him some big secret. 
Aibileen wrote her prayers down, (much like I do),  because her teacher told her to keep reading and writing when she had to quite school to help her Mama. I do it to help me stay focused.  But that is all beside the point.  No matter where or how you pray, do people know you do? After all,  that is the way we build our relationship with our Father.  If you never talk to your best friend what will happen ? You will drift apart and the next thing you know, it has been months since you spoke.  So, when was the last time you really talked to God?  I mean, like you were talking to your best friend.  Like you were sitting right in His ear. 
You are, you know?

No comments:

Post a Comment