Monday, June 16, 2014

Twenty years ago & today

Twenty years ago today, I was great with child.  And when I say great, I mean, like due date was two days ago.  He could come at any time now.  And, as you mothers well know, it is an event.  You do not just say oh, that was a contraction.  I think it's time.  Twenty years ago, the weather was much like today's forecasted to be.  Nice. Warm.  Sunny.  Twenty years ago I was alone in the house.  D was at work.  I was nesting.  I had washed clothes.  Even hung them out on the line.  All the while having contractions.  At this point they were about fifteen minutes apart.  I make my way to the grocery store. (Because you don't want to be bringing a newborn home without food in the kitchen.)  I stop by mom's on the way to the store.  I put her in a dilemma.  Should she mow her yard or get ready?  (I can't help but laugh at that now)  I proceed to the store and even to the post office to get mom stamps.  (Well, since you are going to town, never mind that you are having contractions and all, would you go to the post office?  While I stay here & decide on mowing or getting ready.) I stop back by her house to leave the stamps.  Now, let me say this is all around the ten o'clock hour.  Contractions are still around fifteen minutes apart.  I got back home.  Put the groceries up.  Got the clothes off the line. I folded them and put them back in place. The house is clean.  I decide I will try to help things along.  I ate the popsicles that you freeze.  You know, the kind in the long slender bag?  I ate those and walked.  And walked.  And walked!  But then.  BUT THEN!!!!!!  I had a contraction that took my breath & just about put me on my knees.  It made me think, "You know, maybe it's time to call D."  I called.  And wouldn't you know it.  HE'S AT LUNCH!!!!!! Yes he's eating.  If you know him, you will find this funny.  The co-worker that answered said "Do you want me to go get him?"  (Let me say this was in the era before cell phones.  Makes you wonder how did we survive and communicate.) My reply was "No, let him eat.  This may be the only meal he gets today." He finally calls me back.  Then the debate is on whether I should drive to pick him up or should he come home.  But now remember there is my mother to factor into this equation.  We finally decide the best thing would be for him to come home and we will pick her up.  Now, this may be a good time to add that it is my father in laws birthday.  There was a meal planned and a birthday cake in the oven for that night.  Ok?  You see, when we do something here, we go all out.  We can't just simply say let's have a baby today.  We have to have two or three things going at the same time.  We are still that way. I also just laugh now at the scene of D on the phone with his sister telling her we need to change the supper plans for the evening.  (Might I add here, she didn't believe him.)  He's telling me to tell her we are going to the hospital.  (While I'm contracting & trying to breath through it.) ( If I weren't focusing on that I might would have hit him.)  It was a very long afternoon.  It was a very long night.  The oldest may have arrived on the seventeenth (at 2 a.m.), but he began his journey on the sixteenth.  There hasn't been a year to pass yet that I don't replay the whole day in my memory. 
Now, fast forward twenty years.  The youngest and I are taking the first step in the senior year today.  We have an appointment for "those" pictures.  The one that will go in the composite and hang in the hallway forever.  You see, we don't do things small here. Never just one item at a time. 
One turns twenty.  One begins a journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment