Tuesday, August 12, 2014

The death of a frog....

I've had to stop what I was doing to get these thoughts down...Plus I needed to check on the pool & call the pool store.  Which adds insight to the post.  Funny how things work out.  I posted the following comment on Facebook Saturday.  I shared some of it with D Friday night.  Usually when I share thoughts like this he ignores me.  But in this case he listened & God used some of it for his message Sunday.

"I'm only afraid because I’m comfortable. It’s too easy to let the stuff make you comfortable, to use
stuff as a shield to protect you against the headlines.

What if we are all only afraid becaus
e we’ve settled for being comfortable? What if we are all only afraid when where we’ve settled is not where the Comforter is — because where the Comforter meets you is precisely when you are outside of your comfort zone?

More than being afraid of a dangerous world, maybe we should be much more afraid of comfort zones.
Frogs have died that way.
What if we all were more afraid of comfort zones because this more than possible:

What if every comfort zone — is just a death trap?"
Ann Voskamp

 
When I read this I immediately thought of myself & the recent job.  My next thought was the church.
I believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that if I had stayed in that job one more year I would have ended up just like the frog.  I didn't realize it until I read those words. For as long as I can remember, I wanted to grow up & be a stay at home mom.  I am so thankful & blessed to say that I did get to do that during those important years.  I was also blessed beyond measure by getting to work in the school system where my boys attended.  I had the summers off with them.  They rode to work with me.  I was off work when they were out of school.  God's plan...I think so. 
With age comes changes.  Some good.  Some bad.  I didn't realize it at the time how stressed and pulled I was.  Until last week.  School started and I didn't go.  For the first time in 12 years, I DID NOT go.  I have to admit it was a bittersweet feeling. 
 
I started painting on our bathroom.  It has been a cloudy/rainy four or five days so I thought it was a good way to spend the time.  I've had lots of thinking time!   And that is when the realization hit.  I didn't realize how comfortable or how dangerous I was.  As I've said I was scared to take the jump.  But there is freedom in the jump.  Much like our faith.  Much like our Christian walk.  We are scared to take the chance because where we are is comfortable.  But what if that comfort will be what kills you? 
 
This picture may gross you out.  It did me:
 
Of course the white one's are dead.  And there are some that are still alive. 
With the rain & humidity I know they were looking for a nice, cool, comfortable place.  See what comfort got them??? 
In leaving the former job, there were sacrifice's.  If you know me at all, you know I love, love, love purses, shoes, fashion, the beach... I'm not saying those things are no more.  Just in moderation based on need. (Ha) And I have to admit too that I have felt a bit guilty not contributing financially to the house hold.  But...as my sister in law said the other day I am able to give my three men ALL of me now.  Not just the leftovers.  And I never realized that either.  That that was exactly what they have been getting for 12 years.  Because so much demanded my time & attention.  These days I'm busy at home doing whatever needs to be done and just waiting on my man to call.  And he does & I love it. 
 
Now about the church.  As D preached Sunday.  We as Christians/church members get comfortable.  And when the church gets comfortable it dies too. 
 
I say all of that to say this....If you are a working mama stay strong.  Hang in there.  It will pass.  You will blink and they will be buying houses and engagment rings.  They will be starting Senior year's.  But they do need you.  Be all there for them.  Not just partly there.  ALL there. 
For the church... get out of your comfort zone.  Lives are at stake.  Jesus will return.  Folks will die.  The world is a messed up place and we as Christians are called to spread the word not to be a dead frog!

No comments:

Post a Comment