Friday, November 21, 2014

Friday ramblings: love & the likes there of

I am having trouble finding the words to begin this post.   So let's see.....

It's been over fifteen years.  That's when this story began.  That's when we moved into this house.  The boys were five and two.  After being here a couple of days the neighbor came with a plate of chocolate chip cookies.  We were fast friends.  They were an older couple.  They fast became next door grandparents for the boys. He almost became....well I just don't know how to put it.  He became the next thing I had to an earthly father since mine was gone.  Not long after we moved here, D's dad passed away. He then became the only grandfather figure these boys had.  They enjoyed sitting on their porch and watching the boys play. There was a lot of coffee drank on that porch.  They enjoyed having the boys run in and out of their house just to visit.  As the boys grew, the couple grew older.  Things happened and communication was lost.  And then they moved.

Life has a funny way of changing things for us doesn't it?  Things happen that we don't plan for.  Things we don't like but we have to do.  Back last summer the man stopped to see D.  He traded vehicles.  Communication was found again.  Hind sight is now 20/20.  Isn't that the way life does us?  If we had known then what we know now....

Life has taken it's toll on her.  He has her at home.  He is taking care of her.  I have wondered how and why.  I found out yesterday.  It's called love.  He needed someone to drive him to the hospital for a procedure.  He hated to ask us.  I didn't mind.

On the way there we talked about life.  The boys.  He advised me "for us to live and enjoy life.  NOW.    Because, well, you just never know."   I agreed.  

As I sat and listened to him talk to the nurses, his main concern was to hurry and get done.  He had to get back home to her.  He wasn't worried about the procedure itself.  He was worried about her.  Love.
They have a history.  One in which I don't know all the details.  Just enough.  Just enough to know they adore each other in their own way.  I've seen it.

I left him with a family member.  They were to bring him home.
Once I left though, I couldn't help but ponder the morning conversations.  And then my thoughts shifted to Christ and His love for us.

Paul writes to the husband in Ephesians 5:25 "Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her."
I couldn't help but think about how he was in a hurry to get back home to her and I thought about this verse.  I couldn't help but wonder then, being that Christ loved us so much to give Himself up for us, then He must be in a hurry to be reunited with us.  He's gotta be.  Right?

 He called around 6:30 to let me know he was home.  I could tell by the sound of his voice he was happy to be there.  Reunited and he felt good.

No comments:

Post a Comment