Thursday, December 18, 2014

Thursday's Thoughts on Fashion

I'm going to talk about some fashion today there just aren't any pictures.

Tuesday morning I was getting ready for a day of shopping with the future daughter in law.  The closet ended up being a small disaster because I couldn't decide on what to wear.  I just really wanted to wear some yoga pants, a big sloppy tee shirt that advertised a favorite restaurant on a beach somewhere & my tennis shoes.  I, however, didn't want to embarrass the future D-I-L so I opted for something a little more presentable. (I should add here that I ended up wearing (I think) a cute raglan tee shirt with the silhouette of a deer on the front with a long cardigan sweater, jeans & boots)  (Said future D-I-L showed up with black leggins, a tee shirt with the silhouette of a deer on the front (only her deer has cute little glasses),  & a cardigan)  (We didn't ask what the other was wearing)  (We even talked about how what we really wanted to wear was yoga pants) Ok back to the point at hand... As I put the sweater on I thought back to how old it was.  My mind is so messed up.  I can't recall a lot of things but when it comes to clothes I can.  How sad!!!

It was at this point in the process that I felt His nudge.  You see, as long as I can remember clothing has been important to me.  Not just as a necessity to cover my body, but as a statement for who I was.  (So to speak.)  I've obviously cared (or maybe not) what people thought because it has always mattered (to me) how I look.  I've always wanted to dress trendy yet not blend in with the crowd and look like everyone else.

And this is when it hit me... Standing in the middle of my bedroom, putting on a sweater that is approximately 13 years old, I've been focused on the wrong wardrobe.  If, 13 years ago, my focus was on growing my relationship with Christ then I wouldn't remember the sweater.  Where I got it and what was going on in my life at the time.  If my focus was on growing my relationship with Christ then that would be all that mattered.  Does that make sense?  I'm not saying that the relationship wasn't important, just that the focus has been a bit wrong all this time.  I should first be concerned with "dressing" myself in Him. In His love.  Not that I'm not or haven't been, but if it is where it should be, then you would see His love & light in me first not my clothing. Right?

How many times have we all been guilty of judging a book by it's cover?  If  had I chosen to wear the yoga pants & sloppy tee and you saw me what would you think? Whether you know me or not, you would have judged by what I had on.  Right?  She's having a bad day... That's about the tackiest thing I've seen all day... I can't believe she's wearing THAT!...   Pajama bottoms have become a big hit in these neck of the woods.  I can go to the grocery store on any given day and I'm almost positive that I will see an adult, in public mind you, wearing pajama bottoms.  It's a small pet peeve of mine.  Would you say I'm quick to judge?  For all I know that mama has been up with a crying baby all night and has no energy to dress.  For all I know her house may have burned last night and that is all she's got today.

Where is our focus?  Don't get me wrong, I'm all about some cute/pretty clothes.  Love them.  I was so distracted several times Tuesday on our shopping trip by cute/pretty clothes.  So much so that I had to say to D-I-L that I needed to FOCUS on the task at hand...  

I guess I say all of that to say this..  We need to cloth ourselves with Christ before we worry about what is on our back and how we look.  So what if we look pretty on the outside.  Remember what the Lord told Samuel in 1 Samuel 16:7 "The Lord doesn't see things the way you see them.  People judge by outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart."  If our heart isn't clothed right, what difference does it make how we look?  But when the heart is right, the face will glow and so will the rest of you.  Making everything else just as pretty whether it is yoga pants & sloppy tee shirts or cute leggins, tunics & boots.

No comments:

Post a Comment