Friday, January 23, 2015

Waiting the thing out!

Funny how things work out isn't it?  I tried to get my thoughts around Sunday but they just weren't there.  The next thing I knew, it was Thursday and I had no Fashion desire either.  And I won't even blame it on the weather.  Because this week has been off the charts.  Way to go sunshine & wonderful temps.  But on the other hand maybe it is the weather's fault.  I was either loving it or preparing myself for the next round of winter.  Either way my mind hasn't been on posting.  Until yesterday afternoon.   Every afternoon around four o'clock Silas will make his way to the front door.  He will sit there and watch the traffic but he is primarily there to wait for D & the boys to come in.  His posture caught my attention Wednesday afternoon so I snapped a photo of him.  I then shared in on instagram and facebook.  He got several likes on both. 


There is nothing unusual about this.  It is normal.  I promise.

That was Wednesday.  Thursday afternoon came and he was back in his spot.  I promise.  I'm creative, but I'm not that creative and he isn't that cooperative.


After I took this one, I went on about my business only to hear the verse from Isaiah "Those who wait on the Lord will renew their strength."  Now I know he isn't waiting on the Lord.  I promise.  But at this point there are lots of thoughts running through my mind.

One was expectancy.  Silas is expecting those three to pull in the drive way at any moment.  And when one of them finally does, he runs to the other door to meet them. It's a show I promise.


I then found him doing this.  Y'all the dog is so talented.

I'm not much on waiting. On anything. I never have been.  I don't move slow.  Never have.
As I pondered all that was going on in my head I remembered what I read in my devotional.  "Start at the present moment-accepting things exactly as they are-and search for My way in the midst of those circumstances."  It is highlighted in that book and I couldn't figure out why.  Then it dawned on me that it was this time last year that I started feeling the nudge to leave my job.  The scripture that is referenced in that devotion was Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own.  Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go: He's the one who will keep you on track."  (The Message)
When we trust Him from the bottom of our hearts and we don't try to figure everything out on our own, it's called waiting.

I was also reminded that it's been 22 years since God called my daddy home.  During those months of treatment and the days before he died the verse we clung to was Isaiah 40:31 "but they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles: they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."

There's a lot to be said for the waiting.  Waiting is hard.  But it is something we all have to do at some point in time.

And now here I am.  It's Friday afternoon.  I finished all of the above last night.  But something wasn't right.  So I sat on it.  Until now.  I have just gotten a text from a dear friend.  This friend has got some trials going on in their life.  And they aren't just little speed bumps.  This friend is hanging on to their faith.  But mainly to our God.  They were just letting me know that they had something else added to their plate today, which they wanted me to add to the list of things I was praying for.  But this is the message that made me stop what I was doing and finish this up:  "But you know what...I am looking for God to do something BIG!  His blessings are always bigger than our trials right?"  My reply was: "YES! We just sometimes have to wait those trials out."  This friend had no idea I had this post typed. 

The conversation goes on & this reply comes back:  "Heck I don't care if it is big.  I just know when you get to the top of that mountain....you get the best view."  My reply was: "Yes!!! And it's a beautiful sight."  The reply was:  "Getting my binoculars!"  I said:  "You won't need them."  They say:  "ok but I am taking a tent, chair & firewood... I would like to camp out there for a bit." 

You see, the trials are often hard.  But the other side of them is beautiful.  It's in those trials we gain our strength.  Strength we didn't know we had or could have.  It's in those times we are drawn closer & stronger.  We have to wait them out.  And once we are on the other side, we can be like Silas and run!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment