Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Once upon a time

Once upon a time we had a dog.  Not this dog.  The other dog.  His name was Sampson.  He was a mama's boy if a dog could ever be a mama's boy.  This dog is NOT!  We still have a love hate relationship.  It has evolved.  We've just decided it best for both of us to just do the best we can because, like it or not, we are stuck together.  We have no choice.  
God used Sampson to speak to me quiet often.  Now before you say the woman has lost her mind, let me remind you that God used a burning bush, a whale, even a donkey, to get his point across.  Dogs can be no different.  He hasn't done it that much with Silas.  Or maybe it's just me.  Maybe I'm not paying attention.  (which is highly possible)  In my defense there's been quite a stir since Samps died & Silas entered the picture.  
Sampson had to be where I was.  If I was home, he was in the room with me.  Just about at all times.  If he knew I was outside, he was ok with that.  Some call it separation anxiety.  
Silas doesn't have that.
He doesn't care where I am or what I'm doing unless it's something he wants.  
If he hears the door open then by all means he thinks he needs to go out too.  Other than that, he simply doesn't care.  Just like at this moment, he is no where to be found.  Mainly because I don't have anything he wants.  
Let's just say I walk into the kitchen to get a cup of coffee.  He simply doesn't care.  But let me open a drawer, rattle the silverware, give him a second and he's there.  He thinks there might be food involved.  
Now let's say I'm in the kitchen to empty the dishwasher.  Not interested.  However, let me get in the kitchen to cook....Guess what....He's there.  
Which is where this post comes to life.  
I took the above picture while I stood at the stove.  He wasn't leaving.  He waited with anticipation.  Once the plates are set on the table he will wait by D's chair.  With anticipation.
Can you guess where I'm going with this?  
How often to we treat God this way?
We could care less if He's in the house or not.  We just want to know He's close by if we need Him.  Right?
Until we want something.  Or if we think He may have something we want.  
I'm guilty of this.  Knowing God is every present in all my goings & comings.  Yet I never acknowledge Him.  Until I want something.
How sad is this?  
I want to be better.  I want to do better.  I want to be closer.  I want to be more like Samps was.  I want to be where my Father is.  At all times.  I don't want to just be satisfied knowing He's in the house.  I want to be at His feet more.  Not because I want something from Him, but just because I enjoy His presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment